The School of Smart Agriculture at Adamas University, Kolkata, was established in 2021 to make provisions for imparting education in agricultural and allied sciences, an amalgam of several relevant branches of science and technology. Agriculture is the primary source of livelihood for about 60% of India’s population.
About The School
The Indian agricultural industry is poised for huge growth, increasing its contribution to world agricultural trade every year due to its immense potential for value addition. The agricultural export from India is likely to reach the target of US$60 billion by the year 2022. On the other hand, the world food likely to be doubled by 2050, and India would meet only about 60% of its total food demand by 2030. Food processing is emerging as a ‘Sunrise Industry’ and is one of the focus sectors of the ‘Make in India’ initiative. Agriculture is a high-growth, high-profit sector with huge skill gap in areas such as food processing, food safety, food security, logistics, agricultural business, etc. The prospect of agriculture in India is huge, but we lack behind in many aspects of doing smart agriculture, compared to the rest of the world. Therefore, education on smart way of doing agriculture is having huge scope in India. Along with traditional aspects, the School of Smart Agriculture is aiming to integrate modern technology like precision agriculture, artificial intelligence, robotics, data science, drones, different sensor equipments and modern tools and techniques for imparting unique technology-based education to our students.
To achieve global standard and excellence in academia and research on interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary domains of agricultural sciences and attaining new heights in technological innovation along with producing global citizens as graduates through intensive teaching-learning process who would be forerunner to sustainable societal development.
- To disseminate knowledge of agricultural science for scholarly progression, intellectual development and strive for innovation.
- To enable latest skill sets in the domain of agricultural sciences with ability to evolve and engage in learn-unlearn and relearn, being a lifelong learner.
- To establish state of art infrastructure and research ambience in attracting the best minds to serve under the single roof of School of Smart Agriculture in undertaking scientific and technological investigation of highest social importance.
- To inculcate values, culture along with scientific knowledge to foster the spirit of self-reliance and entrepreneurship development.
- Course structure based on the guidelines by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- A dynamic curriculum that gets updated with requirements of the industry and research.
- Experienced faculty members with Ph.D. and work experience from reputed national and international institutes.
- Technology-based pedagogy including blended learning, flipped classrooms, think-pair-share, peer learning, video lectures, and smart labs.
- Holistic learning through the development of human values and professional ethics, design thinking, venture ideation, and entrepreneurship skill.
- Seamless interdisciplinary learning and projects across fields.
- An interactive and informative teaching atmosphere.
- Adamas Biotechnology & Robotics clubs – perfect entrepreneurial platforms to create opportunities among the students to implement their innovative ideas.
- Student mentoring system to provide personalized care to each student.
- Adamas career development cell and center for professional studies to help students to get their dream jobs.
- Incubation facilities for start-up or entrepreneurship development.
Study Specialized and New Generation Programs
Prof. (Dr.) Rudra Prasad Saha
Officiating Dean, School of Smart Agriculture
Dr Rudra Prasad Saha is a distinguished scholar, with 20+ years of experience in teaching and research in Biotechnology. Dr Saha completed his comprehensive post-doctoral research on host-virus relationships at the University of Texas at Austin, USA, and San Diego State University, USA after earning his Ph.D. in Biochemistry from Bose Institute (Jadavpur University), Kolkata. Dr Saha has published several research papers in high-impact international journals and presented his work in several national and international conferences around the world. Through his outstanding academic, leadership, and interpersonal skills combined with his inimitable teaching style, Dr Saha looks forward to encouraging a competitive spirit among Adamas University students which will foster a positive and healthy campus atmosphere along with equipping students with the right skills to meet future challenges.
“Along with traditional aspects, the School of Smart Agriculture at Adamas University is aiming to integrate modern technology like precision agriculture, artificial intelligence, robotics, data science, drones, different sensor equipment and modern tools and techniques for imparting unique technology-based education to our students.”
Get in touch with our academic counsellors to get in-depth knowledge about our courses and plan a visit to the School and campus. Drop in an enquiry and we will get back to you.